Dar-us-Salaam has an immediate opening for a full-time “Building Manager“ position at Al-Huda School. Please share this page if you know someone that may be interested in applying in shaa Allah.
About us: Al-Huda School is a private non-profit Islamic educational institution located in College Park, Md. We strive to provide quality Islamic education for preschool through 12th grade. Our mission is to develop well-rounded students inspired by Islamic principles, excellent academics, and extracurricular activities, while seeking to prepare our students to live a God centered life rooted in the teachings of the Quran and authentic sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
SUMMARY: The Building Manager is responsible for keeping the building and grounds in good working order as to maintain a safe, clean, and healthy environment for students, staff, and the community.
Please continue reading here for full job description and qualifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following statements of duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the leader filling this position. These statements are not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by this position; rather, this list is insight into some of the diverse responsibilities of the position.
- Perform quality control checks by checking classrooms, restrooms, hallways and offices to make sure that trash is taken out, sinks are clean, carpet is vacuumed properly, restrooms are clean and disinfected completely and deodorized. Snow removal as needed.
- Complete paperwork to include, stock orders, fire inspection reports, fill out employee related reports, vacation requests, sick day forms, personal day reports, employee evaluations, and accident reports.
- Inspect the building to make sure that all systems are working properly by checking the heating system, air condition system, hot water system, check for any lights that are not working and for any maintenance requests. Keep an open line of communication with administration.
- Perform minor repairs in building and in grounds as needed, such as repairing chairs, repairing desks, installing light bulbs, light plumbing repairs, clean main entryway glass, spot clean as needed. Coordinate outside contractors that are working in the building and report discrepancies to the facilities department.
- Meet with the night crew, give them a report on the activities in the building for that night, give the results of the quality control check that was done in the morning, give them any special instructions that are needed for that night, listen to any feedback, and give guidance to them as needed.
- Clean cafeteria after lunch is over by removing all trash and food that was left in the cafeteria, wiping down tables and chairs, removing all trash from the cafeteria and kitchen, keeping the trash cans emptied and trash off the floor as much as possible, sweeping and mopping cafeteria floor, clean any spills, take down all tables and chairs, set up a cafeteria for next class to come in.
- Perform other duties as assigned by building or facilities department administration.
Supervision & Technical Responsibilities:
- This position is responsible for the day to day supervision of building custodial staff, to include assigning tasks, providing training, and auditing of work performance.
- Direct supervision of the custodial staff is the responsibility of the Building Administration. The Building Manager may provide input to the evaluation of custodial staff.
- This position has no budgetary responsibilities at this time.
The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position:
Education and Training:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least two years of experience in custodial work, one year in a school setting required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal relations skills.
- Basic math and accounting skills.
- Personal computer, keyboarding and word processing skills.
- Customer service and public relations skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to diffuse and manage volatile and stressful situations.
- Ability and willingness to carry a pager or other electronic device, be on call and/or respond to calls 24/7.
- Operating knowledge of auto scrubber, carpet machines.
- Operating knowledge of vacuums and burnishers.
- Operating knowledge of and experience with personal computers and peripherals. Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Criminal background check required for hire.
- CPR and First Aid required within 6 months after hire.
- MSDS – Right to know law required within 6 months after hire.
- Blood Borne Pathogens required within 6 months after hire.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 2 hr. asbestos training required within 6 months after hire.
OTHER WORK FACTORS
The physical demands, work environment factors and mental functions described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds; frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat; electrical shock; or vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Mental Functions: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to compare, analyze, communicate, and use interpersonal skills. Frequently required to coordinate, synthesize, evaluate, compile and negotiate. Occasionally required to copy, instruct, and compute.
Preference will be given to US citizens with a degree from a US educational institution, but other legal residents are welcomed to apply . For immediate consideration, email a resume with at least 3 references and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.